Futlyev Nikita Sergeevich, Applicant, sub-department of Russian literature and folklore history, Saratov State University named after N. G. Chernyshevsky (83 Astrahanskay street, Saratov, Russia), email@example.com
Zhatkin Dmitriy Nikolayevich, Doctor of philological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of interpretation and translation science, Penza State Technological University (1a Baydukova lane, Penza, Russia); Member of the International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education, honoured research worker of higher professional education of the Russian Federation, honoured research worker of science and technology of the Russian Federation, Member of the Union of Writers of Russia, Member of the Union of Journalists of Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The article firstly deals with the analysis of the interpretation of «Othello» by Shakespeare kept in the Russian state record office of literature and art made by I. A. Aksenov and corrected by Y. P. Anisimov for the performance. This interpretation, dated in 1930, was analyzed in the context of literature and theatre life of this period, which was characterized by strong attention to Sheakspeare’s «Othello» which can be proved by appearance of a new interpretation made by A. D. Radlova, preparation of the editor’s plan for «Othello» by K. S. Stanislavsky, representations of «Othello» performances in Moscow theatres «MHAT» (I. Y. Sudakov) and Maly Theatre (S. A. Radlov), creation of an ideal image of «Othello» by A. A. Ostuzhev etc. The aim of the research is to define the significance of I. A. Aksenov’s interpretation under the editorship of Y. P. Anisimov for the russian reception of «Othello» in 1930.
Materials and methods. The material for the analysis was the typescript of the I. A. Aksenov’s translation under the editorship of Y. P. Anisimov kept in the Russian State Library, the editor’s plan of «Othello» by K. S. Stanislavsky, A. D. Radlova’s interpretation, literature-critical articles, diaries, letters, memoirs, documents. Historical-comparative, typological-comparative, biographical methods of investigation were used in the study.
Results. The authors analyzed the circumstances of literary and theatre life of Russia in 1930, preceding the appearance of I. A. Aksenov’s interpretation under the editorship of Y. P. Anisimov. The researchers also defined the specific features of Aksenov’s and Anisimov’s interpretation of some episodes of the Shakespeare’s work in comparison with their representations, suggested by predecessors and contemporaries. Many facts were compared, which helped to evaluate significant events of the Russian reception of «Othello» in the complex interconnection at the period of time under consideration.
Conclusions. The analysis showed that in spite the fact that I. A. Aksenov and Y. P. Anisimov tried to realize the Sheakspeare’s main aims with the help of their creativity, their translation was not a marginal phenomenon because it responded to the views of that time, corresponded to the strong interest to the Shakespeare’s legacy, the wish to create new translations of the great drama poet instead of the ones made before the revolution, which were criticized during the modern period of time. With omissions of some episodes, which were intentionally done for the theatre performance, one can find some features in the I. A. Aksenov’s interpretation under the editorship of Y. P. Anisimov provoked by ideological thoughts, as well as false translations of some speeches provoked by the epoch’s mental assumptions.
1. Shekspir V. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy arkhiv literatury i iskusstva [Russian State Archive of Literature and Art]. F. 1013. Op. 1. Ed. khr. 11.
2. Shekspir V. Sovremennik [The Contemporary]. 1858, vol. LXXII, no. 12, St. Peterburg life, pp. 264–270.
3. Shekspir V. Biblioteka dlya chteniya [Library for reading]. 1864, vol. CLXXXII, no. 4–5, pp.1–160(6-ya pag.).
4. Shekspir V. Otello : tragediya [Othello: tragedy]. Saint-Petersburg: tip. P. A. Kulisha, 1864, 160 p.
5. Shekspir V. Shekspir V. Polnoe sobranie sochineniy: v 5 t. [Complete works: in 5 volumes]. Saint-Petersburg: F. A. Brokgauz – I. A. Efron, 1902, vol. III, pp. 288–362.
6. Veynberg P. I. Zhurnal Ministerstva narodnogo prosveshcheniya [Journal of the Ministry of public education]. 1889, part CCLXIV, no. 8, pp. 437–451.
7. Veynberg P. I. Zhurnal Ministerstva narodnogo prosveshcheniya [Journal of the Ministry of public education]. 1889, part CCLXXII, no. 12, pp. 57–62.
8. Biblioteka A. A. Bloka. Opisanie: v 3 kn. [A. A. Blok’s library: description: in 3 books]. Comp. by O. V. Miller, N. A. Kolobova, S. Ya. Vovina ; pod red. K. P. Lukarskoy. Leningrad: Biblioteka AN SSSR, 1984–1986, bk. 1–3.
9. Kornaukhova T. V. Tvorchestvo P. I. Veynberga v kontekste russko-angliyskikh literaturnykh svyazey XIX – nachala XX veka: dis. kand. filol. nauk [P. I. Weinberg’s works in the context of Russian-English literary relations of XIX – early XX century: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of philological sciences]. Saratov,2014, 377 p.
10. Shekspir V. Otello: tragediya v 5 deystviyakh [Othello: tragedy in 5 acts]. Moscow; Leningrad: Gosizdat,1923, 152 p.
11. Moskovskiy khudozhestvennyy teatr v russkoy teatral'noy kritike. 1919–1943: v 2 ch. [Moscow artistic theatre in Russian theatric critics]. Comp. by O. A. Radishcheva, E. A. Shingareva. Moscow: Artist. Rezhisser. Teatr, 2009, part 1, 440 p.; part 2, 656 p.
12. Stanislavskiy K. S. Rezhisserskiy plan «Otello» [Editor’s plan of Othello]. Moscow; Leningrad: Iskusstvo,1945,392p.
13. Zingerman B. I. Shekspirovskiy sbornik [Shakespeare’s collection]. Moscow: Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe obshchestvo, 1958, pp. 364–396.
14. Shekspir V. Otello: drama v 5 aktakh [Othello: drama in 5 acts]. Moscow: Tsedram, 1935, 102 p.
15. Shekspir V. Otello: tragediya v 5 aktakh [Othello: tragedy in 5 acts]. Moscow: Tsedram, 1935, 79 p.
16. Radlov S. E. Ostuzhev – Otello: sb. [Ostuzhev – Othello: collection]. Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe obshchestvo; Kabinet Shekspira. Leningrad; Moscow: [b. i.], 1938, pp. 37–41.
17. Ostuzhev-Otello: sb. [Ostuzhev – Othello: collection]. Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe obhchestvo; Kabinet Shekspira. Leningrad; Moscow: [b. i.], 1938, 72 p.
18. Nel's S. M. Sovetskiy teatr [Soviet theatre]. 1936, no. 4–5, pp. 16–21.
19. Chukovskiy K. I. Pravda [Truth]. 1939, 25 Nov., p. 4.
20. Ostuzhev A. A. Pravda [Truth]. 1940, 19 Jan., p. 4.
21. Chukovskiy K. I. Teatr [Theatre]. 1940, no. 2, pp. 98–109.
22. Nel's S. M. Shekspir na sovetskoy stsene [Shakespeare on the soviet stage]. Moscow: Iskusstvo,1960,508p.
23. Anikst A. A. Spektakli i gody: stat'i o spektaklyakh russkogo sovetskogo teatra [Plays and years: articles on performance of the Russian soviet theatre]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1969, pp. 189–198.
24. Ostuzhev – Otello: sb. [Ostuzhev – Othello: collection]. Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe
obshchestvo; Kabinet Shekspira. – Leningrad; Moscow: [b. i.], 1938, pp. 43–70.
25. Rudnitskiy K. L. Mikhoels: Stat'i, besedy, rechi. Stat'i i vospominaniya o Mikhoelse [Mikhoels: Articles, conversation, speeches. Articles and memoirs about Mikhoels]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1981, pp. 5–48.
26. Ostuzhev – Otello: sb. [Ostuzhev – Othello: collection]. Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe
obshchestvo; Kabinet Shekspira. Leningrad; Moscow: [b. i.], 1938, pp. 19–36.
27. Zingerman B. I. Shekspir na sovetskoy stsene [Shakespeares on the soviet stage]. Moscow: Znanie,1956,40p.
28. Berkovskiy N. Ya. Berkovskiy N. Ya. Stat'i o literature [Berkovsky N. Ya. Articles about literature]. Moscow; Leningrad: GIKhL, 1962, pp. 64–106.
29. Komarova V. P. Tvorchestvo Shekspira [Shakespeare’s works]. Saint-Petersburg:
Izd-vo SPbGU, 2001, 256 p.
30. Morozov M. M. Morozov M. M. Izbrannye stat'i i perevody [Morozov M. M. Selected articles and translations]. Moscow: GIKhL, 1954, pp. 179–222.
31. Shvedov Yu. F. Tragediya Shekspira «Otello» [Shakespeare’s tragedy “Othello”]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola,1969,104p.
32. Lunacharskiy A. V. O teatre i dramaturgii : v 2 t. [On theatre and dramaturgy: in 2 volumes]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1958, vol. 2, West European theatre. 708 p.
33. Shekspir V. Shekspir V. Polnoe sobranie sochineniy: v 8 t. [W. Shakespeare. Complete works: in 6 volumes]. Eds. by S. S. Dinamov, A. A. Smirnov. Moscow: Academia, 1936, vol. 5, pp. 177–340.
34. Morozov M. M. Ostuzhev – Otello : sb. [Ostuzhev – Othello: collection]. / Vserossiyskoe teatral'noe obshchestvo ; Kabinet Shekspira. – L. ; M. : [b. i.], 1938. – S. 1–18.
35. Morozov M. M. Morozov M. M. Izbrannye stat'i i perevody [Morozov M. M. Selected articles and translations]. Moscow: GIKhL, 1954, pp. 465–579.
36. Ryabova A. A., Zhatkin D. N. Mir nauki, kul'tury, obrazovaniya [World of science, culture, education]. 2013,no. 6, pp. 359–362.
37. Zhatkin D. N., Orlova N. Yu. Kul'turnaya zhizn' Yuga Rossii [Cultural life of the South of Russia]. 2010,no.3,pp. 58–60.